Recently, an under-cover investigation conducted by the SPCA revealed that some 35 pet shops were said to have not provide the puppies/dogs with adequate housing facilities including not providing proper water feeding essentials such as water bowls.
Rocco Hu from the Straits Times approached me for an interview on the above topic and hope that I can share my opinion being 14 years in the pet industry.
I gave him the answer strictly based on the years of experience working with puppies than adult dogs. Where I was coming from, as a pet shop owner dealing with puppies, it's prudent to feed them water from a water dispenser. This has been put up to the SPCA when their officers visited my shop many years ago. Puppies, being more playful by nature, will topple the feeding bowls and left with nothing to drink. On the other hand, water from dispenser is very much more cleaner and the supply is more continuous as long as the staff of the shops keep refilling them. They can be left over night in the shop without the pet shop owners having to worry about the water problem. Experiment showed that they might even poo or pee into the bowls unknowingly and thus drinking from the contaminated bowls. Medical bills arising out of such incident can be extensive and bacteria infection from such contamination can be deadly too. When furry breeds get wet from playing with water, they can fall ill due to flu and develop into pneumonia resulting in death too.
Some readers who are either illiterate or did not bother to read the article on the Straits Times proper jumped into conclusion that my shop was one of the 35 shops mentioned - even when the reporter stated that SPCA refused to release the list of the said pet shops. They took things to their own hands and wrote malicious e-mails to me and called me names. Some even credited the reporter for "reporting my shop".
I am quite surprised that in modern day Singapore, such mistakes still happen in people who know how to use the computers and "read" newspapers. They claimed to be animal lovers and I thought they should go out to do something more meaningful to behave like animal lovers than hiding behind the computer as finger warriors slaughtering the innocent. The worse part is that when I wrote and confront the "culprit" who called himself - Ron Lim (apparently a fake name), he failed to reply or apologize.
Who dare to say that I'm not an animal lover? There are not many pet shops that can last more than 10 years in Singapore because these are the people who think that they are real "animal lovers" and ended up realizing that owning a pet shop is totally different from sitting down and hugging a dog which is abandoned, like what the volunteers in SPCA do.
So to those out there who do not know me or us, please do not judge if you do not have the facts right. If you want to be righteous or think that you are very great, touch your own heart - go do charity for FREE. I do not run a charitable organisation so I do not do charity. I'm just a pet shop owner and will do whatever AVA teaches me to do - NOT SPCA - they go judge themselves!! I do not want to mention why but many know.
And for those who think that the so called Animal Shelters are containing all ANIMAL LOVERS, go find out for yourselves before you think they are great people. Just note - ALL are HUMAN. No human in this world is always noble. Just remember, when you yourself is doing something evil, GOD is watching. As long as my conscience is clear when I run my business, I cannot be bothered by what these people say and I do not need to answer to anybody out there except for AVA.
No comments:
Post a Comment